Present Tense

A girl can dream…


And so it’s arrived; election day 2012.  I’m not sure what I’m more excited about; finally seeing who wins or being able to peruse Facebook without getting banged in the head by outrageous, insulting posts about “the other guy”.

Here’s what I propose on the eve of either retaining our current President or beginning a new administration.  Stop with the reasons the other guy/party sucks.  Give both candidates a few props.  They are both well-educated, accomplished men.  You may disagree with them on certain (or for some, ALL) issues, but they’ve both fulfilled aspects of the American Dream.

Put aside the snarky political spin about the end of life as we know it, should one or the other be elected.  Stop picking apart every sentence they utter.  Look at their lives as something to be admired and yes, respected.

Both are well-educated via elite institutions.  Both went out and did the hard work necessary to find themselves vying to be leader of the free world.  Both seem to be stellar husbands and fathers.  Their life experience is probably a little different than yours, but it doesn’t make it invalid.

I’ve heard so much bitching and complaining about what a rotten choice we have this year to lead our nation.  That’s unfair.  They took risks; they put their reputations and lives out there for all to see and endlessly dissect.  They have achieved vastly more than most of us Monday morning quarterbacks who sit on our couch clutching the remote, trashing them.

I get it.  Tomorrow at this time, there is an excellent chance that about 49 percent of us will be feeling emotions ranging from disappointment to blind, white rage about the results.  The other 51% will be tempted to taunt and do a victory dance.  Try a little tenderness; on both sides.  Let it sink in.  Don’t take it personally.  The sun will rise in the east and we’ll march on as a nation.

Look, I know that politics is a dirty, corrupt business.  Quite honestly, I’m agnostic about this election, which could be why I am so piously lecturing about remaining calm as we see the results of the most expensive campaign of all time.  But, I find myself in a place of relaxed pragmatism; one guy has to win and we all have to live with it. Period.

The past few months of this election have been painful to watch as friends, families and co-workers have chosen sides.  Politics has become a blood sport and it’s easy to get sucked in.  There’s an epidemic of bruised relationships over a couple of guys that really don’t have a personal stake in our lives.  Honestly, WE are in charge.  Let’s take back control and make an attempt to accept the results.  We’re better than the campaigns think we are.  Aren’t we?

November 6, 2012 - Posted by | Musings | , , ,


  1. My sentiments exactly. No matter who wins, no one person is going to singlehandedly destroy us as a nation or as a people. We have a big part to play in our own destinies as well.

    Comment by Patricia Ayite | November 6, 2012 | Reply

  2. One person can have a huge effect on us as a nation and a people (e.g. Hitler) but there’s always impeachment in our country.

    Comment by Jessi | November 6, 2012 | Reply


    Comment by Philip | November 6, 2012 | Reply

  4. Thanks–exactly what needed to be said!

    Comment by Joan Clare Ford | November 6, 2012 | Reply

  5. Very well said Jane. Thank you for sharing with us.

    Comment by Ivory P | November 6, 2012 | Reply

  6. YAY!

    Comment by Terri Freeman | November 6, 2012 | Reply

  7. Thank you for this Jane. Like always, you have a way of saying what needs to be said at the exact right moment! I wish everybody felt this way…

    Comment by Stacey | November 6, 2012 | Reply

  8. Wow, very sensible. …and yeah, those campaign ads are insulting to intelligence. That’s probably why many feel that we are trying to pick out the cleanest dirty shirt.

    Comment by Tae McNeelege | November 6, 2012 | Reply

  9. Thomas Jefferson said it best, “I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.” Nice Blog, agree completely on the Facebook Posts. Honestly I don’t give a crap who my friends are voting for and I’m so sick of their political posts!

    Comment by Karla | November 7, 2012 | Reply

  10. I liked the article very much and will really like to comment on it. I agree with the blogger when he says that politics is a dirty, corrupt business…… one guy has to win and we all have to live with it. the simplicity of presentation has really won my heart.

    Comment by Too many payday loans | November 20, 2012 | Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: